Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd. Licensing Department manages the licensing of Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd. catalogue of compositions, sound recordings and music videos.

Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd. Licensing Department offers non-exclusive licences for a range of uses, including synchronisation licences (eg. films, computer games and audio-visual presentations); compilation licences; communication to the public licences (eg. transmission in media such as television, radio, internet or mobile devices) and public performance (eg. playing music videos and sound recordings in public places, such as commercial premises).

You will generally need to negotiate a licence agreement with Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd. Licensing Department before using any of Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd. compositions, sound recordings or music videos. Please provide a brief description of the proposed use and email jake [AT] socialfamilyrecords [dot] com.

Licence requests are considered and negotiated on a case-by-case basis having regard to the proposed use. We may then proceed to provide a quote which will be subject to contract and in most cases will also be subject to formal clearance (eg. artist or label approval). In the event that agreement is reached on the terms, a formal licence agreement will be issued for signing. We stress that, even though terms may be agreed, the proposed use cannot begin unless and until the formal licence agreement has been fully executed by both parties and the licence fee has been received in full by Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd.

    Please note that:

  • 1. Depending on the circumstances of each proposed use, one or more third parties may also controls rights in the composition(s), sound recording(s) and/or music video(s) that you are proposing to use. If this is the case (and we will do our best to advise you of this), you will need to contact the relevant third parties to obtain the necessary licence(s).
  • 2. The rights of public performance and communication to the public of compositions are generally controlled by collecting societies such as (in Australia and New Zealand) APRA, whom you would need to contact for the necessary licence(s).
  • 3. In relation to certain types of public performance and/or communication and/or transmission to the public of any sound recordings, you may choose to approach directly (in Australia) the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) or (in New Zealand) PPNZ Music Licensing (PPNZ) which may non-exclusively offer licences which cover Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd. catalogue (together with the catalogues of other record companies) eg. licences for broadcasting, music on hold and playing music in commercial premises.
  • 4. Particular sound recordings do not have public performance or broadcast rights in Australia, which means that a licence is not required to exercise those rights. Independent legal advice should be sought to determine which sound recordings fall within this exception.
  • 5. Social Family Records (Australia) Pty. Ltd. may revise this Direct Licensing Policy from time to time in its discretion.